Advice on planning newsletters

How do you guys plan your content schedules for newsletters if you have a mailing list? I find it very difficult to plan more than a few weeks into the future, so I’d be curious to find out how you guys do it.

Instead of planning what I’m going to write in the coming weeks, I have a newsletter outline. This helps me to have a simple plan for my newsletter and clean idea about what goes inside it and what type of stuff can be included. Since all I do is writing, when I have an idea I can keep that outline in my head and say “OK, this can go into my newsletter” or “Nope, this is for somewhere else”.

Thanks to this, I always have a list of ideas that can go into the newsletter when I can’t think of anything else.

1 Like

I’ve had a newsletter for years that’s been really sporadic and disjointed. I’m making an effort to spend less time on social media and instead cultivate a friendly/exclusive once-monthly newsletter.

It’s only been 2 months but so far I’m including 1 or 2 pieces of news/product updates that aren’t on my social media yet, links to my work using custom graphics (they stay the same in each newsletter, I copy the previous one each time) and a little bit of chat about what I’m up to. I try to make sure you can read it in less than 5 minutes, with lots of links to find out more if you want to.

It’s early days but I haven’t had any mass-unsubscribes so I think it’s working?!

2 Likes