Any other metalworkers here?

So, I see a lot of digital artists and traditional illustration artists here on Patreon, but, I’m curious, does any else here work with metal? I’m a jeweller mostly (chainmaille and metalsmithing), but occasionally dabble with sculpture. What’s your medium? I’d love to see it! Here are some pieces I made earlier this year for a custom order.

3 Likes

Hi! I’m a fellow jeweler/metalsmith! I do soft soldering, silver, copper, and leather! Here’s a little peek at a piece I made for an upcoming shop update! Also, I’d LOVE to hear how you’re approaching your Patreon with this field! It would be amazing to connect with someone of a like mind as I try to grow on Patreon!

3 Likes

Hi! Very nice ring! My Patreon is a mix of all three of my creative fields (besides jewellery, I’m also a young adult scifi/fantasy indieauthor and digital painter, though jewellery is my primary field). I’ve been approaching it similarly to how you’d approach a blog, with stories of what I’m working next, the inspiration behind the piece, sharing work-in-progress, design sketches, stories of projects that went awry, etc. I’m also about to start offering tutorials for my chainmaille. Tier wise, I decided to go with giving them all the same in terms of patron benefits/accessibilty, and just let them decide what pledge amount works best for them and let them all enjoy the same content. How well this will work, I really don’t know, but I tried have separate tiers for each type of work I do and with different rewards/benefits, but it just wasn’t working so I decided to simplify everything. So, we’ll just have to see how it goes :slight_smile:. I only have 1 patron so far, but it’s a start :slight_smile:.

1 Like

I love that you’re offering tutorials, it’s something I hadn’t really considered! And yes it’s a start! I’ve lost about 3 or 4 of mine due to COVID, but I do believe that once things “settle” a bit more things will pick up! Or at least that’s what I’m hoping, haha! I LOVE your jewelry, it’s gorgeous! You seem very talented, I have no doubt you’ll go far!!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m sure trying, though this year has been a killer :frowning:. I most rely on art shows for sales, but, with those all cancelled this year, I’ve had to look into other possibilities. It’s why I’m putting a lot more effort into getting my Patreon going well, but, with our field, it seems to be a lot harder to figure out what does or does not work for it.

2 Likes

I agree, it’s a little different for jewelry artists I’ve found…so I think the key is really just asking subscribers what they want to see, what rewards would excite them the most, and really relying on their feedback! 2020 has been the WORST year I’ve had with my business, and it’s also the year I left Facebook for good and rebranded my biz, so a lot happened and a lot changed…and I took some major losses. Really looking forward to a new year, lol!

1 Like

I think we all are! This one’s been rotten across the board! I agree, I think a lot of it will come down to asking patrons what types of content they’d like to see and going from there. That’s actually part of the reason I’m now posting tutorials as, at almost every art show I do I get at least a few people asking me if I have them (or do classes or have a book about my weaves). Now, I’ll be able to tell them ‘yes’ and that they can either buy them from my website, or get them for free by becoming a patron here. Ugh, I’m really starting to hate Facebook! It’s so much work with so little result. I like Instagram a lot better, but I’m still looking around for other SM platforms. Really wish DeviantArt was more active (like it used to be).

I agree on all counts, and I’m all for going all out for my biz, but it can be exhausting when you’re doing it by someone else’s rules AND having your reach restricted while being bogged down by algorithms. I’ve taken to sharing my work on lesser known platforms, I feel it’s like anything else: it takes time and consistency, and while I may not reach as many people as I once did via FB I have gained a peace of mind, and I love it. I use VSCO for video sharing, and try to cross post often to pull customers there. Honestly, any alternative is better than what I went through as a FB artist, lol!

1 Like