Anyone using Reddit for their community?

Is anyone here using a subreddit for their community? I’m intrigued by the reddit integration, but I’m wondering whether a super sparse subreddit would work against me. Does anyone have much luck using a campaign-specific subreddit to talk about/share their content?

3 Likes

A few years ago, I had three reddits: one for my artwork, one for my writing, and one for Doctor Who because I was part of a podcast at the time. According to my website stats, there was indeed some traffic from those reddits, but never direct interaction there (I probably wasn’t working it enough, my fault there).

Then at one point some dipstick decided to just take my Doctor Who reddit away (and gave the person to whom the podcast I was a part of a hell of a time) and there was no way at all for me to take it back! None. Even after contacting Reddit mods - they were like “eh, whatchagonna do”. Learned my lesson there, I can tell you. It can surely be as good a place as any where else, but not for me. Not going to put my artwork in a place like that.

From watching others, it seems it doesn’t really matter what platform(s) you choose, the key seems to be really working the ones you choose, and then of course having stuff people want.

This all coming from someone with few (but faithful!) patrons… :smile: I’m sure others here can give much better advice. Just wanted to share my experience, for better or worse.

4 Likes

Thanks for that. “Working the playform you choose” sounds about right.

3 Likes

@michaelprescott this blog might be of interest to you! I think with reddit, as any community page, you’d need to work to create engagement and contribution there. The example in the blog created that by giving away of lot of help for free first to grow that community of people who relied on the subreddit. This thread on reddit has some good advice too! Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts I can speak to, I’ve been on reddit for about 5 years :slight_smile:

I imagine it’s important that this guy managed to place himself as the center of a community with a broad theme, ‘drawing fundamentals’—he didn’t create a subreddit specifically for his brand.

Yes indeed! I think that’s one of best pieces of advice for creators who are worried about making a subreddit just for their brand and then it’s empty if you’re still working on establishing an audience.

He was active in many Reddit communities before starting his own, which meant that

1. He knew his audience and what they needed, and
  2. He had relationships with moderators for other subreddits.

As a result, the r/DigitalPainting moderators didn’t mind when he cross-linked to his own subreddit after answering someone’s question. (Note that he wasn’t just dropping links all over Reddit: he would refer other artists to his subreddit when his content was relevant and useful to them).

As RPGs probably have a lot of subreddits already, I would recommend you start engaging there, finding the niches that you fit into, and then building your own one. You could also ask your patrons and your social followers if it’s something they’d be interested in.

1 Like