Best method to livestream?

I have a show next week that I would like to livestream to my patrons. My pal @BrettGleason is my personal livestreaming hero and he suggests using YouTube but I’m curious what experience other folks have. Any pitfalls I should watch out for? I’ll have a friend handling the livestream during the show and he wants to do it on his phone, so there is that to consider too.

Anyway… let me know your wisdom/thoughts/warnings/ and anything else!

Thanks!

2 Likes

haha that is so sweet to consider me a pro at this, I do it a lot but I use YouTube because it’s EASY and my fans know how to engage with it! I used to use YouTube Google Hangouts, now they have a method called ‘Camera’ both are instant or can be made into events ahead of time. Other methods often require fancy things I don’t know about but would like to learn!

1 Like

You need 1000 subscribers to use Livestream, don’t you? :slight_smile:

1 Like

on youtube? nope.

1 Like

There is something I’m doing wrong then… Whenever I try to use the livestream youtube tells me I don’t qualify for the new standards-- Oh. Sorry.Checked again while typing, seems for using a mobile device it’s different. Laptops work (not for what I do, however). Apologies.

1 Like

that’s frustrating - it seems to constantly change…i think that if you schedule the stream on your computer you might be able to use your laptop for the show but i don’t really know…

1 Like

You are right, I could do it from my laptop. But because my thing is drawing and painting, it would take equipment to hang my laptop over my table, which really wouldn’t work well… :laughing: Oh well… Thanks and good luck with everything!

1 Like

I do very often go LIVE on YouTube and Facebook and simply post a picture message to my patrons when this will be and where to find me. You can of course do this unlisted and once live share the link, or you could go public with the live stream and allow everyone in.
This is my channel: youtube.com/c/TheDevonArtist
The method I use is a bit of computer software called ‘Streamlabs’ which is another version of the popular YT favourite ‘OBS Studio’. Both are open studio software, plus you can bring in more than one camera. I just have a couple of reasonable quality small web cams for the job, one positioned on a wooden batten attached to a tripod and the other on a bendy small tripod for the palette camera.
Like IngridKVHardy I am an artist so this way I can have a camera on the painting and if I wish another on the mixing palette as a smaller window to the top of the screen. You can green screen, import videos, music and much more!
There is a android app for the Streamlabs as well if all you wish to use is your phone.

Hope this helps a bit and if I have anything wrong… apologies. Paul :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Worth asking- what are your goals for the livestream? That can help you choose the platform.

Are you simply interested in archiving the show? Or do you want an online place for fans to virtually watch what’s happening in real time as if they are there? Do you want to have features like comments and replies so the audience can chat or interact with each other at the time of the broadcast? Do you want to increase social reach and discovery? Do you want to ‘train’ or treat your fans to content like this so they they know if they follow you on certain platforms they can expect notifications of live events or live broadcasts spontaneously? Are you using this tor each your existing audience or in hopes to build upon your audience?

Etc. and so on.

So the tl:dr answer would be the platform depends on what you’re intentions are behind the stream, and how you want to leverage it, if at all, to your audience.

Hi Hayley, my main goal for the live streams on YouTube are to encourage new members to come along to my Patreon channel. I do this with the occasional mention and a main short video I pop into the live stream after a brief introduction. I tell everyone what I will be working on and the techniques I will be using. This hopefully keeps them tuned in for the duration.

The facility for people on YT to comment is ideal, which in turn means they get a direct chat with me whilst I paint on camera. All I need do is glance at the computer screen to see the comments every now and then.
People do like that one to one feel with the artist and the beauty of it all is that they can be anywhere in the world!
So yes my main goal is to hopefully entice them to come along to Patreon after hopefully wetting their appetite! Paul :slight_smile:

Hi Paul,

So the big question to follow up for you then is:

What is the best platform to stream that will get your broadcast to the eyes/screens of new fans and new potential patrons?

So for example, Facebook Live has social sharing features and makes it easy for fans watching to share, or to notify other fans that their friends have tuned in etc. Does YouTube offer any features like this that will promote stream visibility? Or archived stream visibility to help you accomplish what you’re after? I don’t know, I’m not too familiar with the full features of YouTube streams - but this is just an example of how different platforms may offer different benefits based on what you’re trying to accomplish. And I think it can be helpful asking these questions to help you clue in on how to achieve what you’re seeking to achieve.

Good luck!

Hayley!

Your series of questions was JUST what I needed. It’s sort of tough to decide precisely what my goals are because in some ways I am trying a series of new things to see what sticks. Mainly, I have started a quarterly live show where I perform and invite special guests. Part of the goal here is to get in front of people and build my fan base – as well as to make myself accountable to write new material and musical arrangements more regularly.

The most important goals with the livestream is to:

1. Another benefit for patrons, access to the livestream and a sense of exclusivity.
  2. It gives me a way to mention Patreon during the show that isn’t too “sales-y” feeling.

I had a friend run the livestream for my show last week, and we used crowdcast on his phone. Using the free version of crowdcast only allows a 30 minute stream, but I alerted my patrons that it was a trial run and they would only get to see that much of the show.

So, 4 people viewed the stream – a small percentage of my 130ish patrons, but that was actually more than I expected. Two people engaged with me and there was a cool (?) moment where I had a major technical glitch during the show and had to take an unplanned intermission. I made a point of talking directly to the folks in the livestream and telling them how freaked out I was, so they got a cool behind the scenes moment until the show resumed.

Good lord, this is long.

SO crowdcast worked great, but it is expensive! I may go ahead and pay for it when I do my next show in December. One of the cool things with the show is that admission is by suggested donation to the arts program at Judson Church, and I am offering free food so people who don’t have access to food can come and eat and see free entertainment. I keep going back to my patrons re-emphasizing that they make it possible to do this show for others because their monthly pledges cover my expenses for doing the show. I think that’s the main reason I want them to have access to this livestream.

So I think the moral of the story is that I am going to stick with Crowdcast for now and my next goal will be to stream the entire show and also find a way to vastly improve the audio. It was pretty dreadful coming from a phone mic!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone and I’ll keep on experimenting with this!