Black History Month 2019

Black History Month starts on Feb 1st next week and I was wondering if any of you are planning on getting involved. Are you highlighting creators of color on your social pages? Or using the month as inspiration in your work? Or perhaps taking time to read books outside of your comfort zone? I’d love to hear!

3 Likes

Love this @mindy! I’ve highlighted a new Creator of Color, Christena Cleveland (who is a dear friend of mine and who I’ve supported her journey on Patreon). I highlighted her on my Martin Luther King Jr post ~ see here. She’s gotten over 185 Patrons in just a few days. She’s amazing! …I’ll be highlighting several books and resources as well for a Black History Month post. Will share that with you when I get it up. ; )

2 Likes

I’d also challenge creators to think beyond Black History Month when highlighting Black men and women. Although Black History Month is a great way to bring attention to Black people in your specific communities, it should become a practice all year round. Make it “mainstream” to highlight a diverse group of voices not just in February, but also in March, April, May, June, July, and so on.

5 Likes

Yes, thank you so much for raising this important point @lrhall. You can read Patreon’s Diversity and Inclusion goals and policies here, if you’re interested.

1 Like