Dark Mode Suggestion

Howdy!

This is just a little thing but I felt it was worth bringing up. Recently I noticed a handful of my patrons discussing how much they’d love to see a dark mode on Patreon as several other sites do. The white can be a bit overwhelming sometimes- especially at night. Is there any plans to add one in the future? And if not, does anyone know any safe extensions/add ons that I might best recommend to my patrons?

Thank you!

13 Likes

Check out Dark Reader (Firefox).

2 Likes

As a visually impaired person, dark mode is something I’m very much interested in having available on Patreon.

6 Likes

See Twitter, YouTube, and Slack for good dark mode implementations. Another cool new approach for Patreon developers to consider is to display pages in dark mode if the user’s browser is set to dark mode.

As a migraine sufferer who often experience pain in response to light, I cosign this request for dark mode. I post about my migraines online and many of my followers and patrons have commiserated. Expecting each individual user to discover, research, and evaluate different dark mode browser extensions doesn’t solve the general problem as well as a dark mode option on the site would.

3 Likes

I would list Discord as another great example of a dark mode! Their dark mode is my favorite because it’s not so dark that the white text is too contrasted against the background!

I hadn’t considered migraine sufferers as people who would highly appreciate a dark mode (even though I’ve had the rare migraine myself)! I feel like plenty of people would benefit from it even if it just makes it more comfortable to browse at night for most. Sure, there’s extensions, but not everyone wants to add things to their browser just for that.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feature request and making this thread @Nekomata!

This is one we’ve heard on social media before but it’s great to get a thread going here too. Do you think it’s more desired on the app for bedtime viewing? or across all the platforms?

As someone who uses patreon almost exclusively from desktop, I’d say all platforms! I work late nights on stuff for my comic (and by extension, patreon) and it’s stuff I can’t do from my mobile devices.

3 Likes

I too vote all platforms as I primarily use my desktop being the app has limited functionality.

4 Likes

I pop around between devices depending on what I’m working on so all devices would be nice…

2 Likes

I would love dark mode too. None of my creators have complained, but I have neurological sensitivities that make using Patreon at night hard for me as a creator. I have that Chrome extension to automatically put things in dark mode, but it’s glitchy on some sites, including Patreon. The 3rd party dark mode hacks rarely work nicely, and they always make my Patreon pages flash to light mode and back like a strobe light with no notice (which is more stressful than having it steadily light mode).

Thank you for considering!

1 Like

It would be even better, in general, to allow people to customize site’s background color (or image even) to suit their branding colors.

3 Likes

All platforms. I’d love to have a dark mode option. I only use the web version and often have to make the window smaller cuz there’s too much white (dark desktop helps).

3 Likes
  • 1 for Dark Mode!
3 Likes

Dark mode would be great. I do suffer from chronic migraines, and sensory overload is pretty easy for me. I have dark mode on just about everything I can get. Plus, it’s always nice to resonate with the goth inside. Hoping to see it in the future.

2 Likes

Very much agreed. Dark mode please. :confused:

2 Likes

Support!

2 Likes