Declined Patrons

Can we PLEASE get a better payment system so creators stop losing patrons that can’t have their payments processed? This is my sole income and I can barely pay rent this month due to having so many declined patrons.

6 Likes

A large part of the problem are the payment processors and card issuers. Their fraud detection systems do not appear to like Patreon.

2 Likes

I have reached out to those folks with declined payments and am successful about 50% of the time in getting them to edit their payment and stay on board. Good luck!

2 Likes

I do the same thing. So far I’ve had 5 of 9 renew manually. Hopefully the other four do as well.

2 Likes

I encourage my patrons to use Paypal if they have it or are willing to sign up (it’s free and very useful for the exchange of money without having to get banks involved; though if you have paypal and are transferring money to a bank account/receiving money there is an approval process for that for security reasons). I’ve never had a transaction decline with patrons who paid via Paypal. Plus, if you are a creator that charges up front, due to the delay in funds transferring from the bank, to paypal, and to their final resting place with the creator it gives patrons a 2-3 day delay in the charge coming out of their bank account, while the creator gets no delay in receiving the money.

2 Likes

I lost 42 this month and after my bulk message, only 6 have come back. I’ve had over 350 patrons total get declined in the last 5 months and out of that 350+, only a small handful have actually come back. If my rate of declined patrons keeps up where I lose 30-40 a month (and therefore money for rent/groceries/bills), I won’t have any patrons left in the next few months. At this point, bulk messaging doesn’t help - patreon needs a better system to process payments.

2 Likes