Discovery -- creating to learn

I write, in part, to make sense of what I’ve learned. I paint, in part, to discover parts of me that aren’t connected to words. In regard to painting, I think of the times I try to render something I see or imagine, and of the times I try to let something new emerge; the former is about seeing, the latter is about looking. I’m with Jung in believing that learning to let go of preconceptions and to let patterns emerge is a kind of conversation with myself and my Self in a language without words, unique to me. What kinds of discovery do you find in creating?

6 Likes

I love this question, and this topic! I definitely believe creating is tied to learning. Writing is my creative outlet… well, that and cooking/baking. I do it to offer up a part of myself I can’t express in any other way, sure, but it also teaches me about who I am. Going to think on this some more – great food for thought! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi Kate! When I was writing non-fiction books, and had done all the research, I found that I really didn’t understand the big picture until I was well into the book.

3 Likes

My experience echoes yours Howard, in a musical context. Thanks for the question!

3 Likes

I’ve discovered my body so much in my self portraits. And I mean that in a more artistic, anatomic sense. I’ve become aquainted with a scar on my spine that I only knew I had because others have told me it was there, for example.

I’ve also gotten to play so much with light and shadow. I get to see how it falls across curves, how it accentuates muscle tone, how it can minimize or enhance certain features.

I learned some of this as a model, too, but with self portraits it’s more instant and more personal. And I can explore it how I want to without being concerned to show too much or worrying about it being boring to the photographer.

3 Likes