Exit Survey Improvements + Custom Message

I am grateful for the ability to see our exit surveys… that’s handy information. Is there also a way to give a personalized ‘goodbye’ message to patrons who are leaving, the way we have a personalized ‘thank you for pledging’ page? I have a grand fund for helping people afford my Patreon, and I’ve had three people leave because of financial changes. The ability to show them a “Thanks for pledging–if you need it, remember to tap the grand fund!” message would be great.

15 Likes

An exit message would be great. Even if we just use it for giving our lovely patrons a final thank you for all their support.

10 Likes

This is a really old post, sorry to necro it, but I wanted to bring it up again cause I think this would also be useful for reminding patrons that they can also leave feedback in their exit survey.

I sometimes get international followers, and I’m always interested in how far reaching my content is, especially with like, Japanese or Korean supporters.
But at the same time they routinely leave after a time and always have the same feedback: “The creator didn’t deliver rewards as promised.” They never tell me what this is, if I actually forgot something, or if there was misunderstanding that they’d get a reward from another tier, etc.

Being able to send a thank you would also be a convenient way to remind them that they have the option to speak up too, and that I’m receptive to feedback.

6 Likes

Some ideas for improvement:

1. It would be nice if we could see who deleted their pledge (User name and e-mail) so that we may contact them, talk to them, hear more feedback, try to improve and get them back. Maybe.

2. Give more “options” when they leave feedback on why they left.
    For instance, “The creator wasn’t engaging like I expected.” (That can mean anything and it means nothing to us) takes them to another survey where they have more options to choose from. (Don’t make them type, because most won’t bother.)

3. At the end, ask them “How likely are you to become a Patron again”. On a scale from 1-5 (1 Not likely, 5 Very likely)

4. Give us all that information. We can take it (even if its bad). It will help us improve.

4 Likes

Hi, I personally believe that you don’t need to redesign anything.
But, updating the EXIT SURVEYS would be great.

Some ideas for improvement:

1. It would be nice if we could see who deleted their pledge (User name and e-mail) so that we may contact them, talk to them, hear more feedback, try to improve and get them back. Maybe.

2. Give more “options” when they leave feedback on why they left.
    For instance, “The creator wasn’t engaging like I expected.” (That can mean anything and it means nothing to us) takes them to another survey where they have more options to choose from. (Don’t make them type, because most won’t bother.)

3. At the end, ask them “How likely are you to become a Patron again”. On a scale from 1-5 (1 Not likely, 5 Very likely)

4. Give us all that information. We can take it (even if its bad). It will help us improve.

1 Like

Just a thought, but I think some ppl would hate to get what amounts to a “but what did I do wrong??” email from a creator they just cancelled a pledge for, if they really had anything to tell you they would have said it in the “other” field. Something like that might discourage them from ever coming back, which happens pretty frequently in my experience.

5 Likes

I would love to be able to leave a custom message. Something like, “Hey, your support was absolutely generous and lovely. Thanks so much for helping my art project along!”

I just hate the idea of anybody leaving and feeling guilty! Life happens.

8 Likes

A lot of folks don’t actually know what to talk about so prompting is often times a good idea, however keeping it optional, yes for sure. Some folks also don’t know that that info is what an artist might actually want and may feel it would be rude to say it without being prompted. Or maybe they are shy and that prompt might encourage them.

I’d love to have an exit survey message i could edit to prompt communication if someone is so inclined. To give them an email or form to leave a more in depth survey, with the option of being anon or something like that. When someone leaves because i didn’t deliver what they expected (or whatever the wording is in the back end) I can’t even try to fix anything. Maybe my wording on the about page was weird but how would i know? Maybe my FAQ page needs some work. It could even be out of my hands and actually an app problem not giving them notifications of my work, and not me. I’d literally never know and neither would they in the later case.) So having a customizable exit message I could have that option for them to leave more information through form polls/data where they don’t even have to write anything and could be anon, would be great. Something i could fit into my general feedback with all patrons too. (Because on my end, people are more happy to click some button to answer a poll than write -anything-, even if it’s a single word or number.)

5 Likes

If there’s any way to encourage those unsubscribing to explain more than a canned selection it would help. We’ve gotten 3 people who typed custom responses while everyone else more or less selected “my financial situation has changed” with no further explanation, many for $1 tiers which is understandable but also a bit perplexing. Overall since our use of Patreon, we have gained and lost over $80 in monthly revenue for generally unknown reasons. I think it’s currently too easy for people to click a button that avoids giving good feedback.

I feel like it’d be a bit awkward or even rude to pull their email address and send a personal email from our fundraising team being like, “hey we noticed you stopped pledging $1 a month we’re sorry to see you go, can we get some feedback and a chance to win you back?”

If there was a way this was done through Patreon as a default though (i.e., give them an exit survey, but also allow Creators to send out a goodbye email) that may be favorable since users leaving Patreon may be less disgruntled by a Patreon-based email and even see it as a feature, versus feeling like Creators are chasing them down for leaving.

Maybe even allow Creators to optionally use the Offers feature for people deleting a pledge to help with retention (think of it like when you cancel Hulu for the umpteenth time and they still offer you a free month. I can’t tell you how many times our household just left a Hulu subscription going due to that.)

“Hey, I see you’re leaving, but if you cancel your cancellation, your next month will be free!” Might need some tweaking to prevent abuse, but something like that might actually make a difference for some of us I think.

1 Like

I’m loving the idea of a custom exit message too. I’d like to thank them for pledging and then remind them of my social media links so they can still stay in touch. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I think an exit message with your social medias and a thank you message is a great idea! It’s a friendly wave goodbye to patrons.

4 Likes

Custom exit message with social media links is fantastic. Just letting them know that you’re thankful for their support and that they can continue to follow your work outside of Patreon is incredibly valuable. Turning Patron churn into potential followers on social media would be fantastic.

5 Likes

Adding my “yes please, custom exit message” to the pile!

Some patrons have sent me DMs on both Patreon and social media in the past when they had to delete their pledge, apologizing and sounding guilty for leaving. But I’d love to reassure patrons in the exit message that they should never feel guilty!

However I do not think their contact info should be added to the exit surveys. I want more feedback as much as the next person, but if they don’t feel like leaving a detailed review/response for their leaving, they don’t have to. And being contacted by a creator after leaving with questions on “why aren’t I good enough” is too much.

3 Likes

A current workaround for this is to set up a connection through Zapier, so

1. when someone ‘unpledges’ (I can’t remember the term as it appears in the data), they are
  2. automatically added to an ‘unpledged’ group in your mailing list (or, for the more personal video touch, in Bonjoro, though that could get WILD if you have many people unpledging every month).
  3. That mailing list group has an automated message going out with all the details you’d like to share with that ex-patron, you could even have fields for ‘lifetime amount pledged’, etc etc, to personalise it further.

I have done a simple version of this with Bonjoro in the past, thought it might help to share here as a workaround💗.
PS: my bonjoro links are affiliate :innocent:

3 Likes

I’d love for us to be able to set up more choices for the patron to choose on the Exit Survey. We get a certain number who pick “some other reason” which is completely not helpful. If we could add a few more choices, we might get a better feel for why people are leaving.

1 Like

So my two cents about this:

• Would definitely be awesome to have follow up questions to improve the feedback quality.
  • Custom message would be awesome and a lot more personal.
  • I don’t think we should so easily have access to the leaving patron’s details. If you don’t have many patrons it’s rather easy to figure them out, but I think they deserve their anonymity here. At the very most, there could be an option (toggle button) to opt-in or out of send anonymously.
  • Love the “How likely are you to become a patron again” question.
  • Additional suggestion: perhaps an ability to reply to feedback, so even if someone leaves negative feedback, it would be possible to reply to them (without know who they are) to address the problem they were feeling, and maybe offer help or assure them that their feedback is taken in to account and how things will improve. What do you guys think?
5 Likes

Would desperately want to create an exit video for people leaving! Would allow the creators so much more of an ability to create and foster a higher retention rate.

6 Likes

Just adding my voice to those who would love to have a custom “goodbye and thanks!” message. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This please!

2 Likes

I would love to be able to write a custom “goodbye / hope to see you again” page, like what we can do with the Thank You page, but also:

THIS. I don’t want anyone to feel wary or guilty because I know who they are.

7 Likes