Feedback Wanted: Post-Via-Tiers

Hey everyone! Hope you’re having a great week. I wanted to get your thoughts on a product update that we’re considering. We’d love your feedback and we ask that you keep this confidential.

Here’s the gist! We want to improve the way posts are made on Patreon. Right now when you make a post, you choose which patrons have access to that post based on pledge dollar amount (for example, patrons paying “$5 or more” get access to this post).

Our update would change the current system so that you’d select access based on tier, instead of dollar amount. You may think of tier and dollar amount as the same thing, but we envision a future where you might have more than one tier at the same price with a different set of rewards. This change would make that possible, and has a bunch more benefits, such as:

• The ability to message one specific tier
  • Your higher paying patrons will no longer receive multiple notifications and emails if you make posts for several different tiers

Here’s a visual example of how the new posting workflow would look.

At first glance, this change may not seem so different. But here are a few key impacts to be aware of:

• Your posts, and any benefits you deliver via posts, will only be received by patrons in the tiers you select.

• When you post, higher tiers would no longer automatically “inherit” benefits from your lower tiers because you’d no longer post as “$10 and up” or “$20 and up”.

• You’d have more flexibility in the way you can set up tiers. You could set up multiple tiers at the same price level with different benefits, and post separately to patrons in either tier.

• One important thing to note: patrons who signed up for “no reward” would no longer get access to posts assigned to the dollar amount they are paying. To grant your “no reward” patrons access to a post, you’d choose the “All Patrons”option when you post. If this product change happens, you may want to reach out to those patrons and encourage them to switch over to the tier that corresponds to the amount they are paying if they want to continue to see those posts. (You can message them easily in your Patron Relationship Manager.)

• Patrons who are pledging more than the tier they’re signed up for would no longer get access to posts for that dollar amount after this change would take effect. They would see only posts associated with their assigned tier.

Here are my questions for you.

1. What’s your initial feedback regarding this change?
  2. Would you prefer that Patreon reaches out to patrons regarding any changes to their access moving forward, or would you like to handle the communications independently? Please explain your answer in as much detail as you can.
  3. How much advance notice would you like to receive before this change occurs?

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

5 Likes

Yes. Do this.

I teach online classes, and I would very much like to offer some as a pledge tier on Patreon. Being able to limit posts by reward tier would facilitate that nicely.

3 Likes
  1. This change is fantastic on paper, I do have a couple questions though.

If I edit a post to select a new tier (for time gated content) could patrons who now have access to the content be notified of the new post (to them), but not tiers who previously had access? That way newly added patrons would see a new post pop up in their inbox, but higher tiers wouldn’t be double notified (like the current system does).

Could there be a second category for polls which also says “Who can vote on this post?” so that I can encourage people to pledge to higher tiers to participate in polls by allowing them to see the kinds of polls I post for my voting tier, but keep the voting itself exclusive?

1. If you change the way the system works for untiered patrons I think sending out an email letting them know they they aren’t properly selecting a tier would be great.

2. I think this could go live immediately and I’d be happy, this seems like a positive move in every way except the minor problem with unselected tier patrons.

Side note, perhaps Patreon could give creators the ability to move unselectied patrons into a category that is comparable with their pledge amount and send an email to patrons to let them know what happened. This would simplify the situation a lot.

You could also make the change an opt in change for now that will be rolled out in a month or two so people have time to notify patrons who don’t have a tier selected and send an email out letting people know how to opt-in and to inform their specific patrons who might experience this problem.

1 Like

I would use the ability to select specific tiers only rarely compared to e.g. “$3 and up”. Which means if this new proposal was the only option, I’d spend a LOT of time checking a lot of boxes (I have a number of unpublished tiers with patrons in addition to my current tiers, so I have many more tiers than you’d expect).

I’d really like to have both options, but if I could have only one, I’d choose to keep it the way it is (because its much simpler to choose one option instead of many on every post).

2 Likes

Seconded! I’d prefer to have both options available for the same reasons Aaron spells out.

I would exclusively use the new option and it would be great for me because I already have multiple “at the same price point” tiers, but having an option to do the old system or new system both would be ideal I’d figure.

I like it, as long as I have the option of making these posts completely invisible (not blurred out) to people that haven’t selected the relevant tier.

I’m actually very excited about this as it would let my patrons control what information they see; do they want WIP updates as well as just the finished products? Do they want news about my Kickstarter, or not?

I would prefer Patreon handle the initial communication, letting Patrons know it’s possible—but many of us won’t immediately restructure our tiers, so I suspect most campaigns would eventually have to handle their own communications anyways. I believe that outreach that names specific rewards is best (e.g. “I now have three new tiers, A, B, and C! Log on to choose which you want!”).

I need no advanced notice. (Since I don’t really have reward tiers.)

Question: Can people sign up for multiple rewards that add up to their pledge? For example, if someone pledges $10, can they select a $5 reward, a $3 reward, and a $2 reward? Or will patrons still be restricted to a single reward?

Question: Can creators control the migration of patrons to the new tier structure? For example, if I have a $10 tier, can I split it into two separate $5 rewards and force-move my $10 tier-members to select both of them? Or do they have to sign up themselves for that?

2 Likes

I agree with those who are saying that if it has to change, it would help to have both options to choose how to set it up, as it would be more complicated to use for those of us who have no use for the new system. I can see how it would help some other people quite a bit, but it would be a big help to opt out of it for those of us that wouldn’t need it.

2 Likes

it’s interesting because it would be great on one project page and not so great on another, however I think it would allow for greater customization and tier options which I’m all for in this case.

I think that an update email and a reminder that the person needs to uodate their pledge from patreon would be good. I for sure would still reach our to my patrons on my own too but so thing generic and a pre-update warning for all would be amazing from patreon.

At least 2 weeks notice so we have time to start notifying and help g people adjust. More would be preferred imo. I would say 3 weeks is ideal for me.

1 Like

I would prefer a month lead time.

1 Like
  • What’s your initial feedback regarding this change? YES PLEASE. Even without having different tiers for the same amount, this is SO useful.
  • Would you prefer that Patreon reaches out to patrons regarding any changes to their access moving forward, or would you like to handle the communications independently? No, don’t, this may not apply to every patronage model and the result of you reaching out directly would be to cause unnecessary confusion. Personally I’m in the situation where my patrons don’t need to know as it will change nothing for them, and the less admin emails they get the better.
  • How much advance notice would you like to receive before this change occurs? None. I’m ready when you are!

Awesome - will make it fr creators so much easier - especially if you plan to handle your Patreon page in two languages in the future… VERY USEFUL

Please - no additional emails. The creators can better and personally explain what will change. All additional emails will only start confusion and additional questions

None - please launch it immediately… :kissing_heart:

Thanks for a great idea!

1 Like

1 month would be preferable for me too. Especially as patrons subscribe on a monthly basis, it makes total sense, and allows plenty of lead time for creators to implement it well. There’s probably a better chance of uptake in the creator community with a longer leadtime.

[quote=“mindy, post:1, topic:3017”]

• When you post, higher tiers would no longer automatically “inherit” benefits from your lower tiers because you’d no longer post as “$10 and up” or “$20 and up”.

This would make things very very complicated for those of us with multiple tiers who are counting on the higher tiers automatically getting all the posts they are entitled to. PLEASE make this optional. This would be a logistical mess for those of us in this situation if it weren’t optional.

• Patrons who are pledging more than the tier they’re signed up for would no longer get access to posts for that dollar amount after this change would take effect. They would see only posts associated with their assigned tier.

Can you please explain what this means? If $20 is our highest tier level, and we have a patron who pledges $25 (as we do) does this mean he no longer gets posts?

1 Like

Looks great, I have a need for this!

The visual example Mindy posted clearly shows that you can select the tiers you want. Nobody’s taking away that option. It’s just not imposed anymore and that gives us a lot more options.

That’s not what it means.
It means that if your patron has selected the $20 tier, they belong to the $20 tier, even if they change their pledge amount to $25. They receive all the $20 tier posts, and so on.
By that token, if a patron selects, say, your $10 tier, they belong to that tier: if they change their amount to $25, they will still not receive posts from tiers other than the $10 to which they belong.

Yes, this would help immensely. I have a few very high paying Patrons who have said “I really don’t care for any benefits” but I end up manually including them in things any way. Being able to put them in the same group as the relevant tier would be very helpful.

3 Likes

It does mean checking a lot of boxes if you have a number of tiers, and a lot more chances for us to mess it up and forget to include an appropriate tier, or accidentally including a wrong tier. This change would be helpful to some people and a logistical mess for others of us who have a number of tiers and want various posts to go out to various tiers on down. The ability to opt out would be very important to some of us.

2 Likes

Yes, that would help.

I’m a little concerned with any change that requires us to get a hold of our patrons to let them know about it. We have several hundred, and we don’t seem to have good email addresses for at least some good chunk of them. Our campaign is several years old, so some of the email addresses may no longer be working, or are for old addresses that people no longer check. Or some people seem to sign up with junk addresses in the first place. It seems like some of our patrons come to the site or their app very sporadically, pop in and read whichever posts take their fancy and then don’t show back up again for weeks or months to do it again. So I’d be very interested in how exactly Patreon is suggesting that we get a hold of all our patrons to let them know about any important change! :slight_smile:

2 Likes