How are you staying creative during COVID?

The whole world is going through a lot right now, but inspiration can come from anywhere! I’d love to hear what you’re all doing to stay creative during shelter in place and these wild coronavirus times.

3 Likes

Since my gig is drawing maps for RPGs, the lockdowns are a stresser but aren’t changing my baseline work environment. If anything, I have more inspiration lately because a lot more people have free time to play RPGs online, and this means I’m playing a bit more and thus getting more inspirations for new works.

The personal stresses are higher as I have parents in failing health two hours away whom I used to take care of until the shelter-in-place orders came out. I keep in touch with them but can’t be there to help the way I normally am - this means more time on my hands, but also more stress.

So I play more games, play more video games, and draw, draw, draw.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear your parent are unwell. It’s a hard thing to grasp, that the best thing you can do for them is to not be there. Just remember this is temporary!

I am happy to hear your work environment hasn’t been very affected though! And I’m extra glad to see that you are finding new inspirations. I’d love to see some drawings/sketches/ or WIP maps if you can share them! You can share them in our Discord server if that’s more comfortable for you. Either way, I’d love to check out your work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a pair of my more recent pieces. I generally spam work in progress photos to my various social media feeds.

4 Likes

Woah! I’m going to be honest with you, @DysonLogos, I don’t know a lot about RPG’s or game mapping so I wasn’t sure what to expect – but this is awesome! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I did focus more on the writing of my comics, developing the characters and their backstories.
What I also did, to entertain my patrons, is post more, like every single day, detailling each single stage of the drawings, or panels from the comics. It really created a bond, like a daily rendez-vous and this really helped me to stay creative and always going forward.

2 Likes

I did a bunch of poster designs for Amplifier’s call for art. Out of over 10,000 submissions, this one was chosen as one of the 70 added to their download archive.

And because of that, this happens:

Projections in the windows of Flannels, Oxford Street, London, by W1 Curates.

Fill the Walls With Hope, Philly.

Because Fill the Walls is doing such a great job, I’ve done another design for them, which will go up in the coming weeks. It’s hard not to be inspired when they keep sending me photos of my work being plastered on walls.

2 Likes

I find challenging myself to level up a skill in a manageable way is a good way to keep me motivated creatively. For about a year now, I’ve been assigning myself monthly aethetic themes, such as “neon”

“spring”,

and “rainbows.”

Despite the pandemic situation, coloring remains relaxing for me, and then it’s fun to see a set of illustrations at the end of the month that all fit together in the theme, too. :blush:

1 Like