How to build a social media following from nothing

Just came across this article, which I feel is pretty comprehensive/helpful for those of you who are just starting to build a social media presence.

Questions I have from this:

-What social media sites do you use? Why did you choose them?
-Do you have any other tips/tactics you’ve used that aren’t addressed in this article?

4 Likes

Sounds right. Get the ball rolling with friends, Facebook ads, give-aways, following your audience everywhere and so on. Then just stick to, be consistent, and let the snowball effect take over – provided you actually create good content people want follow and share. :wink:
Some of the mentioned methods are a bit shady though. The follow-to-unfollow practise works, but is of course a type of spam. And scraping email addresses for commercial purposes? Well, I would get sued for that here in Europe.

Depends on the project, but almost always Facebook and Twitter, sometimes also Instagram and Google+. It’s those places where people go every day, so you have to be there as well to get their attention. But that’s about it. In the end I want them to become daily visitors of my site(s), email subscribers, YouTube subscribers and so on. I much rather have full control of everything on my own sites and don’t want to rely too much on social media accounts.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Ralf! Totally see how scraping emails is shady–I think that may be illegal here too (or at least highly regulated). :thinking:

Social media is great to spread your Creation and I’ve also signed up with a bunch of forums that specialize on Indie Games (in my case) so that helps too. The problem for me is that I suffer from severe dyslexics and find it soooo “painful” to be apart of discussions etc since I have such a hard time expressing myself in written messages + spell check every world :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m making a Facebook page at the moment in preparation for my Trailer release.
I’ve also been hash tagging a bunch of screenshots over at Twitter which seem to be the most effective way to get followers at least. I’ve been updating my Twitter daily cuz I realized that most people (myself included) are following toooo many people so our posts disappear in the feed within minutes. So I’m planning to start posting at least twice a day.