If you were suddenly no longer a creator/artist, what would you be?

I saw this thread on Twitter and it had a bunch of interesting replies, so asking here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh! I saw this posted on One Fantastic Week too. I like all the replies… I said most likely urban farming, since I’m an avid gardener already and I nerd out over vegetable/flower gardening. I did really play with the idea of wildlife rehab for a while though.

2 Likes

I’m currently looking into becoming a freediving instructor and wilderness survival teacher, so I guess those :grin:

2 Likes

Cubical farm dweller. The same form of employment I’m getting away from.

1 Like

I would go back into promotion & marketing, probably in the same field as I’m in currently (RPGs) as that was my pre-artist gig.

I would also probably try streaming video games in the evenings.

1 Like

Unemployed. Virtually every job I’ve had since high school has been in some way connected to my creative skills.

2 Likes

Hopefully a farmer/carpenter, I’m slowly starting to try in my free time but it hasn’t gone too far yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would be a Creator/Playwright.

2 Likes

Probably pretty unhappy XD I love what I do and idk if I could immediately cope if every artistic avenue was suddenly closed off.

2 Likes

Dead, I guess? I am not sure I have a single life skill that doesn’t involve making stuff. I could maybe see if anyone is paying people to make horrible PHP code? Maybe?

1 Like

Nothing would really change for me. I never quit my day job since it pays a 6 figure salary; I just do programming as a side hobby and let people donate what they want through Patreon.

If I had to pick a new hobby, probably wood carving. My room mate is an artist, so it’d be neat to turn her creations into something physical.

1 Like

Well my parents didn’t allow me to study art even though I loved it since I was a little kid. So I studied programming and worked as a software developer for 3 years. Now I have a house with my boyfriend and decided to leave my job and try being an artist.

So if it doesn’t work out, I will have to return being a programmer. This is my dream job but I lost too many years without drawing because my parents forbid me to draw so… I’m 27 years old and not such a great artist as my friends are, those who actually studied art while I went to programming.

1 Like

I asked myself this question many times, especially whenever I run out of money!

But the answer is: artist is not a job, but a condition. If you are an artist, you produce art. If you are not brave enough, then you become a frustrated artist, whatever alternative job you choose.

I had different jobs, and I couldn’t believe how easy is to earn money as an employee. But… after not too long I always felt l was wasting my lifetime!

Someone told me: Hollywood is full of waiters who want to be actors. If you are acting, you don’t have the time to look for another job, let alone work as a waiter! There were many bars in your hometown, never forget what you went to Hollywood for!

So for me there is no alternative job. I need to make enough money with my art. That’s why I love Patreon!

2 Likes