Is staff even here anymore?

I follow an artist who does this as well. She uses Patreon and Subscribestar now.

To Patreon’s credit, both of my grandparents, one of whom is absolutely not tech-savvy, managed to sign up and pledge on their own. I have no idea if they can navigate the site otherwise. I did end up making a pinned post explaining how to find anything, since I’ve had issues in general before.

3 Likes

my only issue with using more paid subscription sites is that i’m already on patreon & OF, and i’m not to keen to just keep adding to the list. i’d love for my supporters to not have to switch services when the OG just goes downhill. that’s why i’m fighting so hard for a better experience.

from where i’m standing, patreon continues to put the creator’s needs last. and it’s so frustrating to watch this service care less and less about the actual group of people that are making them money. it feels stupid to even say it, but do they not realize that our happiness with this platform means our patrons are happier means they stay patrons and our work can grow? like it just feels obvious to me, but patreon won’t work on anything for our quality of life lol

5 Likes

Ah, I hadn’t heard of Subscribestar… will look into it, thanks!

Yeah many of my patrons are older, rarely engage on Patreon, and sometimes make comments like “why do they make it so difficult to access your stuff?” and “I’m paying for this, why won’t it let me log in?” and “is there another way we can support you? we love your stuff but I guess we aren’t smart enough to use patreon because we can never seem to get it to work.” One patron asked me in person if I was ever going to post anything on Patreon, when I post a few times a week. His notifications were enabled but he never got any of them. And that’s from people who have already jumped through the hoops and are paying me. I wonder how many have given up because the onboarding process is so janky like the rest of the site? (A handful of fans and friends have told me this exact thing.)

2 Likes

DIscord is useless, I would like. to see a community chat room on our individual page. Why add an underserved additional hoop? Tiers and Chat should be on the same landing spot

2 Likes

I had to pin a tutorial as well in order to make it clear for new patrons. We shouldn’t have to do this though, and it’s not even visible for non patrons anyway.

4 Likes

This drives me nuts. I still can’t believe they did this. We already have the option to make posts patron only, we didn’t need to have this forced only option for pinned posts. If we wanted it private, we could’ve made it private. Every post I’ve seen about this feature is creators wanting it to be public. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Well, with recent upheavals in staff I would suppose the time has come for Patreon to concentrate on the big names only and leave all the other accounts in the wilderness - every company, whatever good its intentions in the beginning, finally succumbs to profit maximisation?

Not sure what it does for all accounts that make less than five grand :rofl: but we’ll hear about this pretty soon.

2 Likes

Deleting inactive patrons, a feature we’ve been asking for since 2018 .

FFS - can we PLEASE get this???

4 Likes

That press release does not fill me with confidence.

4 Likes

sighs I’m to small a creator to be of any interest. Starting to build a second plattform, so when patreon crashes and burns I have somewhere else to go.

5 Likes

I did not realize the pinned was private… what!? But if someone wants it to be private they should be able to click an option like any other post, not mandatory… ugh… Patreon why…

3 Likes

Did they say why they made layoffs? I read something that said that the CEO (or something) said that he doesn’t think Patreon is “sustainable” and now they are laying people off? I don’t understand how there are so many creators that are making LOADS of money on the platform but they are struggling?

1 Like

It honestly feels like it needs better management. I’m still amazed there isn’t an app for creators.

Hi there - Jack, Patreon’s CEO, explains the recent layoffs in this video.

1 Like

The video just kept saying it wasnt about money, which just made it worse

@Audra This is the video I was referring to

The video I saw was posted 3 weeks ago and was linked in this thread now if you wanna see it. So, not the same as the layoffs from 2020.

Just watched Jack’s "we fired 36 people " video and honestly I just need to know I’d axing those folks means the demo of a functional app I saw a year ago is on the cutting room floor or not because if all that dev time got wasted (again, as is customary with patreon product) I’m going to be really disappointed.

Sometimes I stumble in here to see if there’s a glimmer of hope. Bummer. Good luck.

1 Like

Hi folks.

Like many of you, as a creator active on this forum I noticed a different level of engagement from the Patreon team here once the lead community manager here departed Patreon in April.

While at the time I didn’t post much here, I absolutely lurked and read so many posts about Patreon news and creators product ideas and all the great stuff that gets shared here. And this thread in particular stood out to me, because it’s so clear that when the community manager left their post, the absence was felt deeply here.

Throughout the thread Danya has mentioned that Patreon was hiring and I’m happy to report that I am one of the people they just hired, my job title is Head of Online Community and I have been tasked with helping to build upon this online space, among other things, to help you all and keep this place thriving. This means that as I settle in we may be updating this Discourse to better serve you and implementing new ways to get your feedback on this space, and on Patreon, and help the Patreon team itself learn what’s important to you. More will come in the coming weeks, months etc. as we develop out new strategies and programs.

I wanted to pop in here and say that I see you and I hear you, and I will do my best to make this space be one rich of collaboration and ideas, and I’ll work with the team at Patreon to help make the platform the best it can be, based on feedback and experience I read here. I can’t promise anything on the product side right now, I’m settling in to this new role, but I can promise you that I am here, I am reading your posts, and I am thinking about how I, the community team, and Patreon as a whole can do better, do more and make your experience here as good as it can be. I know it may be a lot, but in advance, I appreciate your patience as I dig my feet into this work. In the meantime, please know I’m here!

You can read more about me joining the team here, in my welcome thread, and feel free to post questions in that thread you may have for me there at any time:

I also welcome you to DM me if you want to share some feedback or messages with me privately, and I encourage you to continue to create new threads and discussions here to chat with other creators. I want this space to be fun and useful, and I am wide open to working with all of you to make it so!

3 Likes

@Hayley Good luck with the new job! We’re all rooting for you to be the one who helps make the connection between the creators and the Patreon team more productive for everyone. There are A LOT of good ideas in the “Pain” thread, among others. Good luck!

3 Likes