Hi community, it’s me again!
A couple of weeks ago, @georgeb and I brought some explorations to the community and received great feedback. We reviewed the feedback with our team, continued exploring, and are back to share our ideas for an initial project focusing on your public (read: non-patron, aka fan) pages.
Giving focus to the About section
We also have seen, and heard feedback from you on our last community post, that Patreon can better support this section. As I’m sure many of you experience today, the About section of the Overview page does a lot of heavy lifting. A few ways we see creators use the section now:
- Describing who the creator is and why they are pursuing a creative business through Patreon
- Showing the type of work the creator does (through text, outbound links, links to posts, and images)
- Explaining benefits and what it’s like to be a patron (through text, links to posts)
- Explaining what a membership (and even what Patreon) is
We are exploring these specific areas because we believe that they are straightforward but important ways to encourage more fans to become patrons. Let’s look at each specifically (and we’d love to hear your thoughts):
- Featured post: We have heard from many of you, and see on other creator pages today, that you like to point to posts that either 1) show the type of work that will excite fans and/or 2) answers common questions that fans have. Your most recent post won’t always be the post to do this, so we can give you a tool to choose the best post for the job.
- FAQ: Your About section should be about you , not the basics of Patreon (unless you really want it to be). We see enough commonality between creators that we feel we can relieve some burden on the About section, simply by doing a better job of explaining what Patreon and membership is. This will start simple, but over time we hope for it to get smarter about the type of creator you are and business you have.
FAQ & FEATURED POST
ON DESKTOP AND MOBILE
Both of these modules are optional, and your pages will continue to display existing content should a creator choose not to use these. For the FAQ module, we are working with creator care teams to understand the most important content to include here. Featured posts, when a creator has selected one, will replace the “most recent” post.
We are also working with the team who brought you the image galleries post to bring that feature to your Overview page, but that’s another post for the near future
Feedback we’d appreciate
- If you could feature one of your posts, which would it be and why? Are there specific links, content, or other items that you are surfacing?
- What are the questions you find yourself answering most often about membership, patronage, Patreon, benefits?