Patrons who don't choose a tier

What do you think is best to do if a patron signs up and doesn’t choose a tier? How easy is it to do that by mistake? (I don’t know what the current sign up pages look like.) We just got a new patron that didn’t choose a tier and we’re wondering whether they did that on purpose and don’t want any of the rewards they are entitled to, or whether it was a mistake and they will wonder where their rewards are. If anyone tries messaging patrons in this kind of situation, can you share what you say? Thanks!

2 Likes

Never had to do that myself, but all you really need to do is politely remind them that they aren’t going to get any rewards without choosing a tier, and provide a link to the instructions to make that change.

That’s it.

There are some people who will choose to not accept a reward simply because they want to support your efforts, and you have no real way to know if this is someone who intentionally didn’t choose a tier or not.

2 Likes

Currently I send every new patron a quick video via Bonjoro. I would just mention it in the video, or you could just send them a message. With the videos I just thank them for the support and direct them to a page on how to set up the patreon RSS feed. Then I mention anything else specific to their tier…so in that case "Hey I also noticed you did not select a tier, I just wanted to check it that was what you intended to do.

I have a decent number of patrons without a tier or sometimes who have chosen the wrong tier. I normally will hear from them if they are trying to access the benefits but cannot their card/payment is valid, I normally will look and it is either they pledged $5 and did not select a tier or selected a tier less than what they pledged by accident. I will just send them this link https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000126286-How-do-I-update-my-membership-amount-
with a note about how to fix it.

3 Likes

It turns out that the patron wanted to pledge $5 but only receive the $1 tier rewards and he didn’t know if he could do that. Thanks for the link dearestscooter; I sent him that along with some hopefully helpful instructions on how he could achieve his goal.

2 Likes

Oh darn. Patron tried to follow the instructions to pledge $5 but sign up for $1 tier, but all he could manage to do was to change his pledge to $1. He apparently couldn’t find a way to have a different pledge than tier level. Isn’t this possible?

1 Like

this does pose a bigger issue - when a patron does not select a reward tier - doesn’t that mean they will not get email notifications for tier specific Patreon posts, even if their money is of that level?

1 Like

That is my understanding. That is one reason why I wanted to help the patron choose a tier.

1 Like

Yes, it’s completely possible, I pledge this way to one of my friends (pledge $5 to his $1 tier.) It’s actually right at sign-up when you select the tier, you can type in a number so long as it’s above the tier minimum. They get to this page by first selecting the tier minimum they’re interested in, not the custom pledge page. Once they click the tier, they’re directed to a check-out page where it will say, for example with a $1 tier,
“Choose What You Pay
The minimum price for this tier is $1.00”

Your Patron can still change their pledge from the tier page! It’s possible they didn’t realize there was a box they could type an amount into?

1 Like

Thanks, Christa_P! I had thought that it was possible, but i wasn’t familiar enough with the details of what the page looked like to give specifics to the patron. I just sent a link to a Patreon page that supposedly told people how to set up their amounts, etc. I think it’s possible that this patron’s native language is not English, so that might not help either.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback around this issue! We just published a new help article just on Custom Pledges to help explain things clearly. LMK if you have any questions!

1 Like