Postcard rewards - printing and shipping services?

Hi!
I send a lot of postcards to my patrons as rewards, so now I’m looking into automating this reward because it takes me so much time to individually print, cut, write and ship all the postcards. I know there are lots of services that do that for you (direct mailing services) but I’ve never used any of them before. I need something that ships postcards internationally and doesn’t have a minimum print quantity (since most of these services want you to send bulk mail to thousands of people).

With some Googling I’ve found these sites:

Have you used these services and are any of them good? Or do you have any other recommendations?
Thanks! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

ooo thank you for making this thread, @Maarika, I’m excited to hear if anyone in here as had success with them.

I use AmazingMail for my postcard rewards! While there have been some hiccups in the past (most notably when they upgraded their UI and got a bit, uh, bugged lol), for the most part it’s been simple, smooth sailing.

Optimistically it would be nice to be able to connect Patreon & AmazingMail (or similar services) so that we wouldn’t have to manually import new Patrons and prune out former Patrons. But until that happens, AM is good enough c:

1 Like

Any chance this might be an area for Patreon to look into for a future partnership or integration?? Seems like it could be a great fit for a lot of creators! :slight_smile:

Brian

3 Likes

Oh yes, great thread! One of my rewards (such as they are) are postcards, and it’s so time consuming to prep and mail (apart from finding a good printer, and then getting them delivered to me, THEN prepping for mail…)
Be great to know of new and possibly better sources!

2 Likes

Integration would be very useful. I’ll take a look at Amazing Mail, thank you for sharing your experience. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Backerkit is doing some stuff like this, they were at Patrecon hooking people up with their beta. I got an invite but ended up being too busy with other stuff to actually use it, so I can’t give you any experience with it.

6 Likes

I use backerkit heavily for my patreon shipping rewards and in almost all instances it’s great, and my go-to recommendation for shipping assistance- but the problem they have which currently has me looking for other post-card shipping solutions is they require all backers to fill out a survey everytime they get a reward, and I really want my post-card tier to be a set-and-forget reward that requires no further effort from the patron other than initially filling out their address when they become a patron.

5 Likes

I used Click 2 Send and it was an easy and seamless process.

2 Likes

TBH i would love to have this kind of service directly with Patreon. Sadly I dont have enough patrons to be able to use the newest plan. (specially because Im not in USA and many services are not aviable for other countries.)

4 Likes

Just a little update. After testing different services I’m going to be using TouchNote for mailing postcards. They have good pricing options and features but above all the quality is great. The only downside of this service is not being able to group contacts in the address book but for now, it’s a minor thing.

I also tried ClickSend and the service itself and pricing was okay but I don’t like the A5 size of the postcards since they look more like flyers.

2 Likes

I have a snail mail level that I prep by hand individually based on the patron. I don’t have very many to do right now, but as it grows I know I’ll have to look into this. I’ve heard good things about Click2Send. MailChimp has a postcard option but they are .75+ per postcard and, as an illustrator and paper goods designer, I’d like to use my own art. For now I’ll keep printing my own designs and sending them. I’m big on letter writing so occupational hazard. I hope to find other options in the future. Will keep an eye here. Thank you for the thread!

4 Likes

Currently, I print my postcards thru Vistaprint (around $15 for 50 postcards) and I have about 30 patrons I mail to. I do all of the ordering, writing the addresses, stamping, and sending out myself. It only takes about an hour of my day. I like doing it this way because part of my rewards also includes a hand-written thank-you note. But I’ve also capped this tier at 30 people to not get out of hand.

BUT I’m curious what the threshold between “printing and mailing solo” and “signing up for a printing/mailing service” is for others! At what # of patrons did you switch to a service?

4 Likes

I have less than 10 patrons I send postcards regularly to but just the process of going out to print the postcards (I don’t have a printer), cutting them to size, writing the message on each individual card (after coming up with what to write in the first place), labelling the envelopes and going out again to post them is just mentally overwhelming to me so every time it takes me a couple of hours at least. I love making and sending postcards but I also want this process to take a lot less time and effort than it currently does.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for this thread. I offer unique artwork on postcards as a reward (i.e. I take requests and draw on the back), but this opens up options for non-custom postcards. Thanks for all the links!

5 Likes

This is a very interesting topic! Any experiences from Creators working outside US?

1 Like

Hi
I had never heard of these but I’d also like some feedback from people outside the US

1 Like