Over the past few weeks, I’ve been hearing from creators how awful it is when your work gets stolen and spread across the internet without your permission, proper crediting, or even awareness. Patreon often gets asked to step in but this week I learned that a creator has more rights than Patreon does when it comes to copyright enforcement.
In light of that, I had a quick chat with our legal team to discuss some resources we can offer you to help battle this.
- We made this DMCA takedown notice template for creators, which you are welcome to use and share widely. Send it to whatever contact info you can find on the site and if they don’t have an email listed, then reach out to the web host.
- This is a nifty guide to the basics of a creators rights with copyright
- Here’s a pretty great walkthrough of the DMCA process
Next, I have a few questions for you to help guide me as we think about what else we can do to help.
- What questions do you have about your rights for your content?
- What are your fears or concerns?
- What can we do in this forum to help you?
- Would having a weekly thread were someone from our legal team comes and answers your questions be of value to you?
Thank you for your time!