Running my first offer!

BANG.

I’m really hoping this gets some legs. I’ve already found one new patron. My goal is to bring my “average per patron” down to a more reasonable $12. It’s currently $34. So more lower level patrons = more better.

8 Likes

OMG, that’s amazing, congrats! WIshing you all the best withit, Kate :grin:

1 Like

Keep us posted, Kate! Have fun!

1 Like

Hey lovelies, I could use your help today!

I’ve tweeted a thread today & would love your retweets. Pretty simple!

3 Likes

Great tweet to engage both creators and receivers!

1 Like

Thank you!! I’m happy it’s finding some legs.

1 Like

I’d like to share a few of the kinds of questions I’ll be tackling at the Q&A! Did any of you guys have any that you’d like to get on my list?

(you are not at all limited to just one)

I have to say.

These offers are such a huge bust for me. The physical perks I tried a few months ago didn’t get new subscribers. This one has seen one person join. I’m doing everything literally by the book and absolutely failing to attract new people. Discovery has always been Patreon’s weakest link and what I’m offering just isn’t jiving with my current reach.

Not sure what else to do! There’s one week left and it feels like it’s gonna be a slog. Any ideas?

2 Likes

How often are you tweeting about it/posting to other social media about it? In my experience every time I hit the social media rounds again (or send out a newsletter, make a blog post) it picks up another couple of people who didn’t see the offer earlier.

1 Like

Constantly. At least once a day on Insta, FB, Twitter, Tumblr. I’ll do another newsletter today too, but that doesn’t get me much.

2 Likes

Kate, I get that the “slog” feeling…I do know that it really did pickup at the end for me when I stayed with it.

re: what you are offering as a perk…do you regularly do Q&As for your supporters? That already IS something I do for my $12 level so I don’t think my patrons would value it as much as a special offer.

What helped me focus my September campaign was thinking about what was in it for them. I choose a reward which was easy for me to deliver, but which included recognition for them, AND it was timed with a limited access. They got a copy of a newly digitized book, with their name included in the thank-you page…AND their name in the next book under construction. A twofer.

So…what’s in it for them?

Steve

3 Likes

I mean, this was literally the #1 thing they chose in a poll so IDEFK.

1 Like

Ah! And juicy tidbits you can hint at that will be answered? What if you drip them a day at a time? What are the secret things that you don’t mind telling that they might want to know about your creative process? That photo with the q about the “real job” was a great one.

Steve

2 Likes

Thanks, Steve! Yeah, I put together a few questions and shouted them out already. (Q&A questions)
Kate Hackett

Join me on Patreon at patreon.com/katehackett

katehackett.com twitter.com/HackettKate
“Intelligent actor with pip!” NEXT Management | APA Agency - Jenine Leigh Pollard | SAG

2 Likes

Last day, this. And boy, what a slog. I ultimately gained two patrons, but … I’ll be honest, despite Patreon’s desire to push us to “offer things” I do not think that it’s worth the effort. Maybe it’s my model, maybe it’s my reach, but Patrons aren’t patrons because of the stuff they get. They support with longevity because they like you.

I’ve done two of these with little to no impact on my numbers. I think I have to acknowledge that they’re not worth doing and find …some other way.

3 Likes

I’ve yet to get a single patron from my offer either, though I made it run a little longer. December 16th is the last day so it remains to be seen if anyone will jump on board. I’ve gotten a lot of likes, comments, and shares on my offer posts on social media in relation to my regular posts. I’m gettin’ the signal boost, but no actual takers yet.

I agree that a lot of creators don’t have the type of following that want a thing. I think if stuff is your monthly appeal you are attracting people who just want the stuff, but if your goal is freedom of creation through support, having an offer of bonus stuff almost cheapens what you’re trying to accomplish. It’s a difficult balancing act.

3 Likes

@Lochy - super interesting point! I’d love to hear if you’ve changed some of your messaging leading up to your final days and whether you’ve seen any shifts? If your audience is support-motivated, which it sounds like they might be, it could be worth trying out talking more about the overall value they’re contributing to in your own life, as well as what’s been made possible by patrons, etc. You could share a milestone goal that’s approaching, or talk about your goals for 2019 and how Patreon members are contributing to making the vision possible. Curious if that would work? You could say there’s a special patron gift available until the 16th and they become part of an awesome community. Just a thought!

2 Likes

I have changed the wording and done many of the suggestions in the guidebook for special offers such as talking about the first goal, rewards for that level of patronage, and doing a countdown, etc. I think my following is just too small and they are possibly a demographic that doesn’t have a lot of expendable income. I can’t talk about what’s been made possible by patrons as I just started this (3rd) Patreon page and then started the offer. I keep my three Patreons separate as the main one is sfw and the other two are not, so there is no cross-promoting and I have separate social media for all three as well.

Mostly I was running this offer on my newest Patreon to see if I could jumpstart it and also to have a practice run at special offers. I’ve done my own special offers before this on my main Patreon and it’s the same two patrons who will up their patronage in support, but I’ve not gained any significant number of new patrons. I think I just have to keep building my following and improving my craft because I’ve pretty much topped out on the number of people who are following me who will be converted at this time.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @Lochy. It does sound like focus on bringing in new audience to your community may be the best approach for growth. The fact you’re getting a lot of shares definitely seems like an indicator that your community of patrons supports you and wants to help you grow. It does take some time for new audience members to become as involved as patrons, though. How did it all end up in the final days?

3 Likes

I never did get a new patron. That’s all right though. It was a good learning experience and good practice for when I have another special offer on my more popular Patreons. I’ll keep building my external audience and try again on my primary Patreon in July. Hopefully with a little more time to prepare I’ll do better there.

2 Likes