I just finished setting up my sales tax stuff. I found it overwhelming and confusing, and I’m still not sure if I’m satisfied with what I just did. I wanted to offer a jumble of feedback on the process in the hopes this UI could be improved in the future.
- When I clicked through from the email, about a minute into setting up my taxes I got a modal popover asking me to “Get started”. I realised this was an unintended effect of a nag you’re sending out to all patreon creator pageviews, but I suspect some people lost their first minute of work by clicking “Get started” assuming it was a weird part of the sales tax settings UI!
- Each tier should let me know tax info has been set for it. I have a lot of legacy unpublished tiers and got confused quick. Even now I’m not totally sure I set tax info for every tier!
- The “Category” dropdown in the Edit Benefit popover should give me some examples! “Tangible good (e.g. a regular sticker in the mail)”, and try to disambiguate community admission and access… things like that? It doesn’t seem very friendly.
- I think it would also be nice if you moved the info buried in the table here into this interface: have each benefit say “Exempt in majority of states” or “Taxable in roughly half the states”, etc.
- Please make it clear whether benefit names show to the patron or to tax authorities. This gave me some anxiety and I still don’t know.
- The copy in “Once you add at least two benefits, you can adjust how much each benefit is worth for sales tax purposes.” confused me. At first, for a tier with only one benefit, it implied to me that I cannot set up sales tax info for a tier unless it has two benefits! Only later did I realise this section in “Advanced” is for apportionment only. I think this was made worse by the way you set up your benefit tiers in advanced, but after reloading the tier page, the benefits appear in the not-advanced section… another good reason to abolish “advanced” sections in UIs IMO
- I would really really appreciate some kind of tax preview that updates as I reapportion benefit values. I know that’s harder than it sounds. I’d do it like… “This tier’s most populous state is MA. This is what a MA resident would pay, approximately.”
- If we’re going to use the Benefits system to do this, you really need to add an option to make benefits auto-complete. Now my benefits page is littered todos for automatically-completed benefits like Discord server invites and behind-the-scenes post access.