I guess I immediately go to moderation issues because I know a lot of my patrons like to share my stuff with their kids. (And because, frankly, I don’t like profanity or flaming myself, and don’t want to have to read it.) I’ve always requested people remain PG-13, and civil, when visiting my space, and I’ve moderated things on other sites to maintain that (or deleted them when they were completely inappropriate).
This is now my space, and I don’t see any obvious tools for me to do that. Even the Discord channel I’ve set up through Patreon allows me to kick people! So, something I’d find helpful (copied from sites like Livejournal and their communities):
- A toggle that allows Creators like me who are concerned with these issues to require all posts be okayed by a moderator.
- The ability to “auto-okay” people who have posted frequently and who you now trust to post without going through the moderation process.
- The ability to delete posts that are inappropriate.
- The ability to delete comments that are inappropriate.
- The ability to ban posters.
I know this all seems draconian, and it will displease some people. But I’ve never had a problem posting my rules for moderation/bannable offenses and having people accept them. I’d be totally okay with Patrons who opted out of patronizing me because they felt I was censoring them if it meant I could keep my space free of pornographic fan art of my children’s book characters. I know it sucks, but we have to plan for the trolls and the stalkers along with the awesome people. :,
Other stuff I’d like (that is more positive):
- The ability to highlight good posts or pin them
- A “What’s Hot” feature so that people can go see posts lots of people are commenting/liking
- The ability to reward frequent high-quality posters
- The ability to give some Patrons the ability to moderate
- An option that allows Patrons to get email notifications of posts on the community (I don’t see an option like that in my email notification settings. Did I miss it?)
Also potentially useful: when people sign on to be one of your Patrons, it would be great if there was some automatic “Meet the Creator’s Other Fans and Start a Conversation!” type dialog.
That’s off the top of my head.