It’s a new year and we’re back with the third edition of The Insider. We want to give you an overview of the product improvements we’ve made, insights we gathered, and hear your feedback so we can make Patreon work better for you.
Let’s jump right in.
My Membership tab
- Your patrons now have a new home for all things benefits. Your patrons will be able to return to this tab to get a summary all of the benefits they receive as part of their membership. We’re moving towards a world where we tailor certain pages exactly to the audience, which helps communicate more clearly and boost the performance of each page.
UK and Germany shipping for Merch
- Merch for Membership now supports patron shipping to the UK and Germany! We are continuing to expand our global reach, shipping now up to 5 countries — US, Canada, Australia, the UK, and Germany.
Locked post teaser test
- We tested reducing the blur on locked post images and brought the teaser from texts post into the preview image, so fans could get a clearer sample of content while considering membership.
- The new text and image+text posts drove an increase in patron conversion
- We’ll make it clearer in the text post creation experience that the preview will use the default teaser text, unless the creator edits it. For creators who make content for an 18+ audience, image blur and text post previews will remain the same. All other creators will have this experience live to their fans in the coming days.
Tiered welcome notes
- We’ve heard from many of you about the desire to send a thank you message to your new patrons that’s customized based on their tier of membership. Thank you messages are now called Welcome Notes. Welcome Notes appear for every patron at the end of the pledge process, and now you can write Welcome Notes tailored exactly to each of your tiers! Anything special they need to know about this tier? Did they just pledge $50? Make these feel special and you’ll reap the benefits of higher patron retention. Check out this thread for more details, or get started here.
- Now it’s even easier for you to make a great first impression on your newest patrons. Pin your first chapter, episode one, or just your favorite post to get your patrons excited for more. This will be the first post that your new patrons will see when they go to your posts page. Simply choose any post and select the pin icon.
Mobile Image Galleries
- Give your patrons a behind the scenes update by creating an image gallery on the go using the Patreon mobile app. Check it out on iOS or Android.
Take patron messaging from 0→1 for maximum impact
A recent study in patron retention showed that patrons who received at least one message from a creator were more likely to be retained by 10%. Even a simple thank you goes a long way!
Acquire new patrons by promoting smarter
Get more out of the time you spend promoting your Patreon. A recent survey of Patreon creators revealed some best practices: stick to a regular schedule of promoting your Patreon to keep the momentum going. Also, be sure to send people to your full URL(patreon.com/), rather than just saying ‘find me on Patreon.”
That’s a wrap on this edition. What are the promotion tactics that you’ve used that worked well or not so well? How’s The Insider doing at keeping you up-to-date on everything Patreon? Reply below to let us know.