Hello creators! We’re back with the fourth edition of The Insider, with all of the product updates and insights from the last month. If you heard about this on last week’s Hang Time, welcome! The goal of The Insider is to give you an overview of the product improvements we’ve made, insights we gathered, and hear your feedback so we can make Patreon work better for you.
Merch for Membership: Global shipping!
- You asked and we listened — we now support global shipping for all merch items to ensure that all your patrons receive their exclusive, patron-only merch. Standard and flat rate shipping costs still apply. Check it out.
Tiered Welcome Notes
- Thank you messages are now called Welcome Notes. You can craft your new notes in the same place in your Creator page settings. Welcome Notes appear for every patron at the end of the pledge process, and now you can write Welcome Notes tailored exactly to each of your tiers.
Search Bar for Posts
- Creators and patrons can now search through post content and titles to find the exact post they’re looking for quickly. The search bar lives on the Posts feed (/posts) in the top right corner.
Testing Address Input - Pledge Flow
- A recent test showed that moving the address input step to later in the pledge process increased conversion of fans into patrons. We’ll release this change to all creators, although it will only affect creators who offer benefits that require a shipping address, like Merch for Membership.
Post-Pledge Experience on Creator Page
- Upon completing a pledge checkout, a new patron will now see a pop up on your Posts page which shows all unlocked benefits as well as the welcome note for that tier. They will then receive a follow-up email with the same information.
Creator Home Improvements
- We’ve improved the layout of your Creator Home page to give you a deeper look into the key aspects of your membership. We hope this can continue to grow to be the command center from which creators can get a pulse check on everything happening with their Patreon. See the old layout(first) and the new layout(second) below.
Test to help patrons understand what they lose access to when they cancel
- We ran a test to let patrons know what they would be missing out on if they deleted a pledge. The results of the test were very positive, indicating a significant increase in retention. We’ll release the change for all creators very soon.
Promotion can be casual
Promoting your Patreon doesn’t have to feel awkward or forced. Don’t overthink it. Mention a something that a patron said in Discord or a comment on a post you made last week. This type of promotion is much more powerful because it is showing the value of your membership and your fans will start feeling like they’re missing out!
Patron 3-month journey survey
We surveyed patrons over the course of 3 months to understand more about their mindset throughout their journey. Patrons who cancelled their pledge were almost twice as likely to say that the membership had not met their expectations. Use the poll feature to understand more about what your patrons want from your membership so you can better understand and manage expectations. Your patrons will also feel more connected to your creative process and you’ll keep them around for longer.