Tools for YouTubers

Youtubers!

I’d love to know what are some tools you currently use that make your life easier? What tools do you wish Patreon integrated with? What tools have you tried but not had success with?

1 Like

The main one I use is TubeBuddy and I use it on a very basic level mainly to find tags to use.

I also use Canva to make thumbnails.

I’m curious as to what others use because I’m definitely hoping to grow my channel. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I find TubeBuddy to be quite useful as well. That’s really the only external or extra tool that I use. YouTube comes with a lot of tools built in already with the analytics - you can see where people are coming from to watch your videos, data on how audience retention is over the course of a video, how many people click on links in an end screen etc.

I also recently got a subscription to storyblocks (formerly called videoblocks) so that I could use stock footage in some of my videos. They have a nice video library - if you need stock footage I think they’re a pretty good resource.

2 Likes

Almost all of my videos go public.
I’d like an easier way to allow Patrons of each level get advance viewing at a certain date depending on tier. Right now I have to do this manually, and my Patrons at the highest tiers get an email for the same video each time I adjust who can see it.

I’d like to be able to post once, set dates for release on each tier and for the public and be able to leave it. We have this for Patron only to public, but not within each tier.

I’d also be able to host the videos on Patron like photos. I do realize it’s a big hurdle, but being able to have an ad free version for Patrons hosted here and a monetized version on YT would be ideal. As it stands, in order for Patrons to not have to see ads, I am required to render and upload a separate version of each video.
When some of the videos run almost 2 hours long, you can see how this ends up when rendering a single file that big takes a couple of hours, and then uploading takes just as long.

It would be real nice if we could an upload and host videos along with photos. But there also needs to be a better way to view posts…because right now it’s awful and we’ve all been asking for it to be improved for years.

I also realize hosting is a big ask. So can we get better post organization and staggered release dates based on tier at least?

3 Likes

The biggest bummer is that views from within Patreon don’t reflect on YouTube itself. That integration would be very nice. Especially for smaller channels being built up to the level where YouTube will re-unlock features they locked for smaller creators in the YTpocalypse. Thank you for asking @mindy!

1 Like

What makes you think that?
YouTube tries to prevent any artificial means to raise the view count, but in general: a (legit) view is a view. Ultimately, that’s all handled by YouTube. Patreon has little control over what happens in that YouTube embed window.

2 Likes

I use TB and Canva.

1 Like

I add lots of screen capture overlays in my videos and tweets and forum posts and Screenpresso is fantastic for grabbing stuff.

1 Like

Any embedded Youtube link, including on Patreon will be counted as a view.

2 Likes

Well I use OBS for live streams, which I’m still learning how to use. But it’s free, and once you get the hang of it, pretty great. I use Instagram a lot, and even post content to IGTV. I hope that patreon will build some integration with Insta in the future.

2 Likes