What is the optimal price for your lowest tier? 1 dollar? 5 dollars?

For years my lowest tier price was $1/month. After I changed that to $2/month, my earnings went up quite a bit (people who are willing to give you $1 are also going to be willing to give you $2.)

Recently, I’ve been seeing more creators have $5 as their lowest tier, and I’ve been thinking of going that way as well. It makes sense given that $5 is the industry standard on places like Twitch or YouTube Memberships. Of course the best price for the lowest tier could be different for different creators, but is there any consensus around this topic?

1 Like

Ever since Patreon unilaterally removed sub-$1 tiers from the platform, the effective minimum for my campaign went up to $10 since I make 10 releases a month. Increasing my minimum to $2 or $5 per creation would make the minimum $20 or $50 and I just don’t see my patrons all getting on board with that.

Oh hey Dyson! Yeah, that would make sense for per-creation patreons like yours. I was more thinking of ones with flat per-month payments.

I set my lowest tier at the Patreon-recommended minimum of $3/month then made my first “reward” tier $5/month. I am considering revamping my tiers to $5/10/15/20/25 per month, though. Should I?

Hey @QuestingBeast, your lowest tier is ultimately up to you. But I think this article may be helpful for you – Raise Your Bottom Tier to Provide Better Value and Bump up Your Profit :slight_smile:

1 Like

@QuestingBeast welcome back to the forum! would love to hear on what you landed for your tiers?

1 Like

I’m not sure about consensus, I started with $2, 4, 8 two years ago. At my first year I revised to $3, 6, 9. I had some lost pledges entirely, but most bumped to $6 or $9. I had one bump (down) to $3. All new patrons have been the new tiers, a majority of new recent pledges have been $9, a few less recent pledges were $6.

That’s not saying there are many pledges. I have 8 patrons.

I did not have a revision this year, and actually did not celebrate the two-year mark by any measure. I might consider a revision next year; however, if not, I’m fairly certain I will do another tier revision in the following year. At the next revision I will probably be considering $5, 10, 15. I might dip that to $4, 8, 12. It is hard to project too far on pricing.

I hired a paid consultation from another creator at the one-year revision ahead of making changes, and I announced the changes 90-days ahead of unpublishing the older tiers. I sent messages to patrons for months encouraging them to consider the upcoming change. A few did not respond, and I let it go for a few months then sent messages to remind them they were missing out on content without making a change to a published tier. A few final patrons responded. Then the final patrons dropped after around six months without getting content.

1 Like

I started off with $2, $5 and $10, though two days ago I added a $1 tier to accommodate those who might be on a budget due to the pandemic. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve been using the 2 dollar for a year now, but I will be merging all the content into one single 5 dollar Tier. Simplifying which Tier people should subscribe it’s working really well so far.

1 Like

I have $1 tier. But I think it makes sense only if the rewards are some previews (announcements) and patron only info posts with no downloads, I mean like an introductory tier.

1 Like

I’ve thought about it carefully and I think I belong at the $2 tier just because I’m marketing to a lot of people who don’t necessarily reap rewards off my value and I’m partially working in an industry (journalism) where people will imagine I’m being paid anyway. I don’t go down to $1 because the difference between $1 and $2 is small enough anyway.

1 Like