Hey there! I’ve had my patreon going for a few years for my webcomic, Tamberlane. Right now I’m able to pay rent and bills thanks to my patrons, and since I have chronic illness, I’ve managed to get a schedule that’s fairly simple to keep up with.
- I recently updated my website to include a Patreon-only section that has links to all the reward things my patrons need (like the forms to fill out). I’m also in the process of figuring out how to automatically append the “Patron” role for commenting on the site.
- I always have links on social media to Patreon when the pages are posted.
The biggest draws for getting people to follow me on Patreon are:
- character cameos (pay $50-$100 monthly and your character gets a cameo; the longer you pledge, the more you’ll show up; and the higher you pledge, the more important your character will be in the story. But I get to change the character to fit the world/setting/etc and they don’t get a say in how they’re included or presented. Great for when I need a secondary character to move the story along.)
- monthly sketch commissions ($50 - bust sketch, $100 - full body sketch; forego a sketch for one month for your next month to have 2 characters; and if you don’t put in your request, you don’t get a sketch [which has been the biggest help i stg])
- getting to access to every page that’s been created ($10+ get the full buffer)
In addition, I send out a monthly postcard via AmazingMail with a little summary of how the month went and a terrible, terrible joke. (I always get the best reactions from the jokes, ahaha.)
I’m also part of a multi-comic discord server for the patrons of a couple diff comics, and that’s helped cross-promote as well. (It’s a closed server unfortunately!)
This is super disjointed, sorry, haha.
So, the biggest thing I wanted to do was keep a broad base of lower-$$ patrons because that way when someone drops, it doesn’t devastate my income. So I needed to make sure the lower tier stuff was really worth the money.
$1 will get you each webcomic page a week early. This has been a big draw, esp during cliffhangers. People want to know what happens next.
$3 was a requested tier that’s exactly the same as the $1 tier but for people who inexplicably want to give me more money.
$5 gets to see the character Q&A sketches I do every once in a while.
$10, as I said, gets to see every page the moment it’s created. Right now I have a 9-page buffer, so people in my $10 tier have seen pages that won’t be public until next year.
$25 gets the postcards, and I have their details for background cameos if I need to fill out a crowd.
$50 gets a bust-up sketch every month and a character cameo that will probably be around for a panel or two. The longer you pledge, the more likely your character will resurface.
$100 - limited to 8 - gets a full body sketch every month and a character that will actively aid the story to the point that everyone will know their name if they read the comic.
$100 - unlimited - gets a full body sketch, a $50-level cameo, and a character design. I’m not sold on that last one. It’s exhausting, haha.
This is all I’ve got right now. Please feel free to ask questions because I know this was super scattered!