What's the best gift you received that gave you more freedom to create?! 🤔🎁

Hey, it’s Erica again from Patreon’s content team. I’d love to get your input for a story!

What is the best gift you’ve received that allowed you more space or gave you more freedom to be creative?

Whether it’s a physical gift like a new laptop that made it easier for you to manage your business or create content or a less tangible gift like a friend willing to help you send handwritten Holiday cards to your patrons, what’s a gift you received that gave you more space and inspiration to create?

Also, if you have a photo of the gift or one you’d like us to use in the article, please attach it to your comment.

Full disclosure: we would like to use some of the answers we receive from this discussion for a blog post, so please let us know if you’d be willing to be mentioned in the post, or if you’d be willing to talk directly with one of our writers!

Thanks so much! :star_struck::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Years ago, a longtime follower (and online friend) received a free graphics tablet as part of a computer package she purchased. She gifted me the tablet, which was on my “if I ever win the lottery” list, because she said she had no use for it. I still have it, and use it, and it made a big difference in my production of digital designs.

2 Likes

A long time ago, my Aunt had received a Wacom Graphire tablet through her work somehow and after visiting her a few times and playing with it a bunch, she ended up gifting it to me. Prior to that, i had drawn traditionally or with a mouse on computers. I was so ecstatic to try the tablet at her house and see what it could do so when she gifted it to me, I was over the moon with excitement!

I actually still have the first full drawing a made on it using the art program that came with it.

For comparison, here are some of the pieces I’ve created this year

She kick started my current day art career with that gift. I still work both traditionally and digitally, but i wouldn’t have gone anywhere digitally without that gift and the support from my parents to pursue art.

(And yes you are welcome to use my writing and art in the post if you see fit to.)

2 Likes

I love this, especially that you didn’t have to win the lottery for it! What a great gift!!

1 Like

It’s so great to see the evolution of your work, and that you not only got that physical gift of the tablet but that gift of support from your family to pursue art! Thanks so much for sharing this!

2 Likes

Bumping this thread to see if anyone else wants to contribute! Would love to hear more about the most priceless, impactful, and thoughtful gift you’ve ever received :gift_heart:

1 Like

For me it was a year subscription to Lynda.com that was gifted to me by a friend.

That website has taught me so much about not only things like Photoshop and Premiere Pro, but also about web development, photography, and videography. Every class I have taken through them has expanded my creative freedom.

I am totally down to write more about my experience, and my suggested courses if you think it would fit your blog post. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My first stencil, it came with circles and squares and a small ruler.

2 Likes

Recently, a good friend bought me $200 worth of printer ink & good paper so I could concentrate on art & Etsy instead of worrying about running out of Cyan. Sometimes a little space for your brain to breathe is all you need, y’know?

3 Likes

i’m really lucky to have an S.O. that supports me fully, wants to see me succeed, and helps me out whenever they can. a few years ago, they asked me what i wanted for christmas and i jokingly said “a new imac” since the only computer i had was a macbook laptop that was at least 7 years old and barely chugging along. but to my surprise, they really got me a damn expensive and brand new computer. its changed my quality of work so drastically and i’m so so thankful.

2 Likes

This is awesome! Learning as a gift is truly something that you can’t replace. I’ll reach out if we need more information, and thanks for offering to share more!!

1 Like

Love how something so simple could have such a big impact. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

What a thoughtful friend! It’s so easy to think of what you can ‘add’ by giving someone a gift, but ‘subtracting’ your worry so you could focus on more important things - that’s a HUGE gift! Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love that this wasn’t just a gift but a surprise, and that it gave you the opportunity to up the quality of your work. Thanks for sharing your story.

1 Like

and i just found a pic of my old laptop compared to the gifted imac and my newest setup this year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love this, thank you!

1 Like

One of my Patrons knew my PC was a bit of a potato and had a spare Dell workstation with about 14TB of storage, so he boxed it up and had it shipped to me, it was pretty cool gesture I have to say

3 Likes

that’s such a thoughtful gesture! Also, a great example of why it’s important to share not only the ups but also the downs with patrons!

2 Likes

The inheritance I got from my Grandfather. He told me once ‘as long as I was happy, the work didn’t matter.’ The inheritance was the seed money for this try at an artistic business. :heart: It really, really helped me, because that gave me the cushion to figure things out with out having to worry about making money.

2 Likes

I have one fan in CA (also a patron!) who comes to all our shows and hands me wads of cash. She came into some money recently and at our last show, gave me $1500 in cash and said “take the band out to a nice meal for me.” Needless to say, I took the band out AND gave everybody a $300 tip!

2 Likes