Why are so many canceling?

I have a bunch of patrons canceling, saying in the exit surveys that Patreon censors and suspends creators? They say they’re all moving to other support platforms… What’s going on?

2 Likes

I can’t imagine you are going to get anything like a satisfactory answer from Patreon. It’s a valid question though, and should be addressed.

1 Like

One patron I lost was a little more concrete regarding the censorship topic:

It is definitely not the only creator having trouble with Patreon, and not the first patron leaving because of Patreon’s censorship practices either.

Personally I’m not sure what’s better. Patreon is not unaccountable for who they allow on their platform, and besides that they wouldn’t want to have an image of being a platform that enables funding for certain groups - which in the end would also be a reason that some patrons choose to leave or never sign up (for example, people leaving GitHub because GitHub has ICE as a customer as well).

For creators it probably just means it can be a good thing to spread out a little and not depend on just a single platform.

1 Like

Did this happen recently? I can’t find anything about it.

@michaelharren A few days back apparently. The guy wrote about it on his own website: Hello, I Must Be Going! : The Corbett Report and it was spread across many alternative news websites.

2 Likes

Thanks! Found it! I’m always curious why people are removed, they always seem to leave that part out haha

I haven’t heard anything about this, but Patreon seems pretty active about zapping folks who are spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories. The site noted above seems to have been getting ‘creative’ with Covid-19 precautions.

For what it’s worth, The Corbett Report seems like a super bad actor? Their content includes videos and podcasts about how Jews control the monetary supply, how 9/11 was perpetrated by the U.S. government, how global warming is a hoax, how the OKC bombing was an inside job, etc. They’re the worst kind of bad actor, really – the sort that puts toxic disinformation into the ecosystem under the guise of “hey, I’m just asking questions” and “we should hear all points of view.” Regardless of how you might feel about disinformation like this, I think it’s fairly easy to understand how someone might not want stuff like this on their platform.

I personally am stoked that Patreon isn’t letting stuff like this live on the same platform as what Shannon and I do, because it makes us look less good to be even peripherally associated with conspiracy theorists, even if only by sharing a platform. But even if I weren’t, I’d be supportive. Different platforms have different rules, and I completely support a business decision not to allow one’s platform be associated with certain types of content. Like my mom used to say when I was a kid: my house, my rules. :innocent::heart:

4 Likes

I am so on board with everything you said here, @hilljam.

1 Like