Wondering if I should continue publishing content with no patrons

I created a content calendar where I’m publishing 3 - 5 pieces a month to Patreon, but I have no patrons. Yes, the ol’ chicken & egg question. Do I stick to the schedule as patrons come in or reduce how much I publish and focus more on promoting?

Thanks!

3 Likes

The tricky part is trying to find balance with both. You can include promotion with your posts, like every time you make a new post, you can talk about it on your socials. But it might be worth it to slow down and spend some time with promotion? Also lots of social media sites nowadays have scheduling features. I’d definitely take advantage of them. You could spend a day or two on scheduling out the next couple weeks, then you can spend that off time working on your projects/posts.

If I can recommend it, I’d perhaps change your top banner? It’s a little unclear to have the gaming controller, which makes me think of gaming, rather than what you offer–fiction. I think having your book up there would be great :smiley:

It may also be worthwhile seeing what other fiction writers on Patreon do, see if you can learn from their strategies :slight_smile:

Best of luck ^^

3 Likes

I know how you feel! I only have one patron right now and two other followers. I generally make between 3-5 posts a week and share those links on social media plus including mentions of my Patreon in my regular posts on SM. Right now, I’m focusing on more public and early access posts on Patreon to encourage non-patrons to become patrons. While I don’t have a large following/patron support yet, I’m still posting regularly as I have had fairly steady traffic to my page according to the post dashboard and because it is much more likely that people will stick around and at least follow before deciding whether or not to pledge if they see that I’m posting regular content. (Why follow an inactive page?) If you’re not finding yourself overly strained to keep up with that many posts a week, than I’d say just continue doing so and make adjustments later as it becomes needed.

2 Likes

Thank you! Many of the writers I find on Patreon already have a huge following, and I’m just realizing now that I should probably look for writers with smaller / no audience.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I do want people to know they’ll get consistent content if they decide to become a patron.

2 Likes

@sambeawesome @Laura_Hepworth thank you both for sharing your experiences!

@Nerissa, I also just want to mention that we have a Patreon Discord Server. This is a space dedicated for creators to connect with each other, get feedback, and share ideas. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Nerissa,
I went and visited your site. I think there are a some things you might want to try.
1st and foremost ask people to become your patron. A sizable number of your future patrons will not read your posts very often. They are being your patron because they appreciate you and want to support your efforts.
2nd, Too many tiers, It is confusing and since people will primarily be giving to support not buy, so many tiers are not necessary. The first 3 tiers are what people see when they log in. A better assortment might be 2, 5. 15 (your call of course but $1 is a waste). Have one or 2 larger ones for the golden donor (s).
3rd, Promote, beg, and bribe. I bought a zoo membership and got some free tickets. Posted them as a reward on facebook for the next patron to sign up. The winner has been with me for 2 years so far.
4th, More public content. Your page looks sterile, give followers and casual glancers (like me) something to look at and a reason to support your efforts.

10 Likes

Great advice!!

2 Likes

This is amazing advice! Thank you for taking a look and the time to share. I’ll be using this to make some changes before launching. Thanks again @rbcdart!

3 Likes

Great advice for many creators, @rbcdart! I’m going to bookmark this for myself to share with creators later. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

@Nerissa regarding the $1 tier - it’s actually one of our best practices to raise your lowest tier price above $1! We have a blog post all about it!

2 Likes

Hi, @Nerissa! Congrats on keeping up with a rigorous content schedule. I do the same thing. My Patreon is an extension of my writing/confidence coaching, so I’m mindful that my highest tier gets a good amount of content. I have one tier without any patrons, but I still release content there so that when I do have patrons, they will have previous content to look at. Plus, I’d rather stay with a good schedule now rather than adopt or adjust later. I hope that makes sense.

Also, I do a round-up “community update” post every week as a public post rather than agonize over which posts to make public. I’ve had a couple of patrons upgrade based on reading what’s going on in other tiers. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I do a weekly update as well that’s public. According to the post dashboard, it gets the most views every week even with other public posts or early access posts that have gone public.

3 Likes

Am only 6 weeks on patreon , no followers or patreons but i love making edits and short movies ,so i think persisting is the key here , i use my insta to for making promotion but as newbee threre are so much questions open
I do not know it helped you with this
Am a content maker of edits

3 Likes

Good advice mate , thanks
I have same problem too

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing and hello @jaehermann! I love your community update idea. I don’t know if that’s already a Patreon Best Practice, but sounds like it should be.

2 Likes

Thanks! :wink:

Thanks @Laura_Hepworth, I really like this weekly update idea.

1 Like

Nerissa as a few said update your banner, add on what type of writing? Is is Sexy Noir fiction…I just made that up. Also only way to gain new patrons is to have a PLATFORM ELSEWHERE- I struggle I have like 15 patrons- yet I have 14k Youtube channel. You have to mention it regularly and maybe run an incentive of somethiing extra IF THEY join in the next month…Pat. has stuff on this. Good luck.

1 Like

I think most people are touching on social media, but one thing that has been essential to get me my 11 patrons (not that many but still cherish them), has been messaging directly groups or people that I know. Often times as much as I thought I had posted it everywhere they still said they hadn’t seen it, or thanked me for reaching out directly. This worked especially well for people who wanted to support my work, but didn’t necessarily want to buy a piece of their own at the time.

1 Like

Hi @Nerissa I’m a writer with a small following (46 over 6 months). I created my patreon page with no followers in nov 19 and used Wattpad as my author platform to lure patrons with 3 Full length novels on the free site. I officially launched my patreon page in April 20 with a short story from one of my free novels. It’s slow moving but I think finding an author platform on free sites like inkitt, wattpad, or any other writing platforms might help you out. Also I say keep putting content on your patreon page but offer some for free to get fans/patrons to your page.

oh I’m also one of those creators who doesn’t mind using the $1 Tier :woman_shrugging:t5: and that helps esp when getting patrons from free sites. A dollar doesn’t seem that crazy and I value amount of patrons over amount of money I make, but that’s up to you! My tiers are 1, 3, and 5 and I have patrons in every one.

I hope this helps and if you need more tips let me know! I’m on the discord server sometimes too :blush: