Workshop: Make a value-driven business plan

Workshop
2020-05-26T18:00:00Z

Make a value-driven business plan Connor Miller

How do you start a business while staying true to what you believe in? If you are more value-driven than profit-driven, you’re in the right place - in this workshop with business coach Connor Miller, we will help you outline a business structure that puts the things that matter first. We will take a look at your project, no matter what stage it is in, and determine ways to maximize its positive impact while also covering operating costs. Don’t worry if you’ve never thought about these things before! We will put together a plan that works for you in a friendly, casual, and collaborative space.

Register here!
A replay will be available afterwards.

About the creator:

@connorthemiller is based in Seattle, Washington. He interviews creative folks who live and work on the internet. Using this research, he helps clients put together actionable plans for how to bring their online businesses to the next level (he calls it "business therapy). He is the author of Sustainable Loops, a pocket handbook for creators. You can find more of his work on his YouTube/podcast series the Orbit or at https://connorthemiller.com.

Have any questions for our team, or Connor, you want answered during the workshop? Leave your questions and comments below and we’ll make sure we prioritize asking them live.

Connor will also be doing an extended Q&A right here in this forum thread after the workshop! Anyone who leaves a comment below before or after the workshop will receive a free Patreon mug. :hugs:

9 Likes

I’m really looking forward to this workshop. I have so many questions that I’m hoping will get answered. I want to make an impact in the world through my work and I know that you can make profit and impact at the same time, but how to convey that message to your audience without sounding like you are just “greenwashing” your brand or following a trend? Thanks!

4 Likes

How do you encourage consistency of your brand values with a community-driven forum, such as Discord?

5 Likes

How do you separate a creative business from other creative pursuits? I’m having a hard time separating my business from myself as an artist (but maybe I shouldn’t).

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to this workshop! Curious what Connor thinks about the adage “you have to spend money to make money.” How can creators best balance knowing when and how to invest in their business? Because personally, I find that “investing in my busieness” and “throwing money down the drain” are not as clear cut as I’d hope! Facebook ads have often felt like the latter to me, although I know a few others who view them as a vital part of their creative enterprise - a cog that keeps the whole machine running - for me it feels pretty equivalent to setting money on fire for the fun of it. I know you might not have time for specifics, but I’m curious if you have any big-picture thoughts about how people can get better at investing wisely.

4 Likes

These are such great questions! Thanks everyone, and so excited for @connorthemiller’s workshop next week :blush:

4 Likes

This workshop sounds perfect! Weirdly aligned with exactly what I’ve been trying to focus on right now. My Patreon is brand new and I’m trying to figure out how to build an engaged community focused on education, growth, goal-setting, self-care, etc. I don’t want to compromise that by being perceived as “just trying to sell something”. So my big question is how to balance that. How to focus on community to authentically gain membership without having to resort to marketing tactics that feel inauthentic.

3 Likes

This sounds awesome, thank you!

3 Likes

A friend and I had a discussion the other day about working beyond our usual style. So for me, an example would be writing a horror story for someone when I write poetry. Is it bad or rather is it less authentic/value-driven to go beyond our typical product by the customer’s request? There’s the one perspective of being diverse and challenging yourself and there’s the other perspective where, if it’s not my product/style then maybe there’s a better person for the job or task.

3 Likes

So excited for this workshop! A question that I have is I am terrible at marketing myself. I’m always afraid of being “annoying” to my followers or I fear that I will be viewed as being greedy. Because of this, I end up not posting anything about what I make or following business plans that I make for myself. Any advice on this?
Thank you!

3 Likes

I bet this question tortures many creatives. I’m in therapy and making some progress in the way I work and treat myself, however, I find it very hard to keep in contact with my audience, even though they are understanding and kind. Is there a way to make sure my blog does not feel abandoned, and the audience - neglected, when I’m at my lowest levels of energy?

3 Likes

Thanks so much for this very relevant workshop topic! I’m excited to learn!
Here’s my question - As someone investing in value and hoping the profit comes later, how do you suggest budding creators keep their hobby-turned-business from becoming a money bonfire in the typically slow period before hopeful future success? Are there any savvy tricks beyond ‘keep a budget’ that we can try implementing?

3 Likes

Absolutely looking forward to this!

I create fantasy art, but I’m wanting to incorporate some endangered animals into the background of my graphic novel. I also make illustrations and sell them on products on print on demand sites and split the profit for different designs with various charities, causes, and institutions. Always looking for more ways to make meaningful art. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am very much looking forward to this because I run a D&D podcast, and being value driven is very important when creating content in a space whose fan-base has a history of toxicity.

2 Likes

Hi Connor, I was really inspired by a talk Seth Godin gave called Your Job Is To Create Art. He talks about the importance of finding and getting your art to the people who will really get you and what you’re doing. Can you speak to your experience going through this process of communicating and broadcasting yourself so that people who will really connect with what you’re doing can find you?

2 Likes

Thanks for doing this! I have a patron base that is a mix of interested supporters and hardcore cellists. Do you have any tips for how to engage them all without isolating one group? I am especially trying not to spam the non-cellists with the more geeky content, and so far have done it by creating very specific tiers for technical cello content but would welcome your thoughts.

2 Likes

PS I imagine there are only a few cellists here, but it might apply to anyone who has multiple kinds of audience - especially those who have a general audience and a skill-learning audience.

3 Likes

Thanks for hosting this!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this help!!! Can’t wait to get started using the template you provided!!

3 Likes